Wednesday , June 7 2023
Breaking News

Law provides more federal money for state rental assistance

Gov. Gavin Newsom has signed a bill that will provide more federal rent relief to state rental assistance programs.

Current law limits to 80 percent the amount of back rent a housing provider can reclaim, but AB 832 allows providers – aided by the extra federal dollars – to receive all of the rent they’re owed from qualified tenants, according to the California Association of Realtors.

Providers that have reclaimed 80 percent of back rent will automatically receive the remaining 20 percent.

AB 832 also extends the state’s COVID-19 eviction ban through September 30, 2021 and it prohibits cities and counties from passing stricter eviction moratoria through March 3, 2022.

The new law arrives immediately after the Biden Administration extended the nationwide eviction moratorium through July 31, 2021. Tenant groups in California have advocated for an extension of the state’s temporary eviction ban through December 31, 2021.

AB 832 was approved Monday with bipartisan support in the state Senate and Assembly and was immediately signed by Newsom.

Check Also

Norco project nears completion

Norco officials expect a 21,000-square-foot multi-use facility under construction in the Ingalls Event Center to …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *